Pages

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Going for Gold

This past weekend while I was in Pensacola, Andy kept William and Catherine. Notice I only mentioned two children because the smallest and neediest one was at Mimi and Papa's. And notice I also didn't call it babysitting because it's not babysitting when they are your own children...it's called parenting. But I digress.

Andy made a "joke" to some friends wanting to know when he was getting his medal and it just made me laugh. Because...I mean....I don't wonder when I'm getting my medal. But then again, in all fairness, it's not his usual job. If someone asked me to handle all the computers at the hospital for a day or two, I might be looking for a reward of some sort as well.

So yesterday afternoon the kids and I were settling in to read some books and William plopped down on the beanbag next to me. Catherine wanted to sit on the other side of me but there wasn't another beanbag. But there was a little stuffed chair in the corner of the room, so she decided she would bring the chair over to sit next to me. I watched her walk over, attempt to pick up the chair and struggle with it a little. Then....out of nowhere and completely unsolicited....William jumped up, ran over to her and said "Here, Cafrin, let me help you." And he took the chair from her and set it down next to me so his sister would have somewhere to sit. I couldn't help but smile, knowing that he really does listen to me when I try to teach him how to have compassion, be kind, be a gentleman.

And that, my friends, is my medal.

1 comment:

Mary Anna said...

What a little gentleman! Know any of the 25 and up variety?