Pages

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Excuse Me While I Step Up On My Soapbox

Did you hear about the eight and nine year old kids in Georgia who planned to kill their teacher? Yeah. They planned to stab her, while the windows were covered so no one could see, and then dispose of her body and clean up the mess. It was just a clever little plan. By eight and nine-year-olds.

This is so wrong on so many levels I don't even know where to start. Let's start at home though. I ask you, where are the parents? And what are they doing? Here's what they aren't doing. They aren't talking to their kids. They don't know who their kids are hanging out with and they probably don't know those kids' parents. Did the parents look in the backpacks? Ever? I taught school once upon a time and I can assure you, an English or History notebook can read like a juicy novel. Foul language and everything. A murderous plot like the one put into motion here didn't happen in secret. It was discussed on the phone, on the internet, or passed along in notes. Just waiting to be discovered. By a nosey parent.

And did you see that these kids may or may not even be expelled? How would you like your third grader sitting next to little Charlie Manson? The fact that it's even up for debate is unbelievable. Expel them. Put them in a special school. Send them to counseling. Along with the parents. And that's just a start.

Call me crazy, but I remember a time not so long ago when kids feared their teachers and parents. Now it's the other way around. Parents are so afraid that their kids might not like them (gasp!) or that their self-esteem will suffer if they are punished. They don't want to snoop because they might invade the kids' privacy. Here's a news bulletin: kids should have NO expectation of privacy if the roof over their head is funded by you.

Things like this just should not be. Before long, we won't have any teachers left to teach our kids. They'll be retired, or murdered by gangs of preschoolers....and there will be no one to replace them.

Come on, parents! Snoop, talk to your kids, talk to your kids' teachers, know your kids' friends, snoop some more, dole out consequences for bad behavior, support the teachers and principals when they do the same, and just for good measure, snoop again.

Criminy. I'm going to end up homeschooling. I can see it coming....

3 comments:

Brenda on the S OR Coast said...

We're already there. I can NOT imagine sending my vulnerable five year old out into the school system, where she could be making "friends" with these kids.

If everyone parented. If everyone cooperated in the snooping and supervising and teaching and loving, I would feel much more comfortable sending my little ones out into the world.

It's not the only reason we homeschool, but it is a factor.

Make yourself at home on that soapbox, we need voices of reason to be heard over the clamor of the ridiculous.

Wendy said...

Dittos! Sadly, paying for private-Christian school doesn't guarantee safety either...spiritually, emotionally, or mentally. It doesn't take a village, it takes Mommies & Daddies being Mommies & Daddies. I'm done...here's your box back.
P.S. Every time I look over my shoulder, homeschool is there looking at me like...HELLOOOO! ;)

Wendy said...

Well, I thought I was done but I wanted to pass along 2 books, both are on the subject of parenting.
Sheperding a Child's Heart, by Tedd Tripp; Don't Make Me Count to Three, Ginger Plowman. Lots of good stuff to chew on in these two wonderful parenting books.