Pages

Friday, March 23, 2007

Thanks a Lot

Some of you may or may not know that up until about 5 weeks ago I was walking 4 mornings a week, 4.7 miles, at 5:30 am. Me and the girls. We met every morning to walk and talk. I did that for about 3 months and only stopped when Number 3 decided to take a nosedive and land in a most unfortunate position pressing on a nerve. Number 3 is not the only one of my children on my nerves, but the only one that is keeping me from walking at this point.

Before that I was getting up several mornings a week at 4:45 am and going to the Wellness Center at the hospital and working out. I started that back in June after meeting with a personal trainer and getting a plan of action to lose all my baby weight and get back to fighting form (whatever that was - been so long I don't remember). I picked June because that was when I stopped nursing Catherine and reclaimed my body. I had my body to myself though for only a few months because all was shot to hoo-hoo when I came up pregnant again and spent 16 weeks puking 24/7. ALL OF THAT TO SAY....I really do want to have some kind of fitness regime but would really like it if I could do it during daylight.

So the other day, after stopping in at the local YMCA, a very nice facility I might add, and seeing that they have a CHILDCARE center and tons of activities for kids, I had an idea. Maybe after Number 3 gets here and we get settled in to our new routines, maybe we can join the Y. Something for the kids, something for me. So I brought it up to Andy the other night and said "Hey...have you ever been to that YMCA? It's really nice."

And before I can get anything else out of my mouth he quips "I don't know why you're talking about the Y. You don't use the Wellness Center...why would you go somewhere else????"

Trying to stay calm and cool I say, "Well, the Y has childcare and the Wellness Center doesn't and that seems to be just a teensy tiny problem for me since right now I can only go work out when everyone else is asleep!"

And he says....and this is really really good.... "I don't know what you're talking about. You can go work out anytime you want to."

Really? Can I really? Great! What about my lunch hour? Oh yeah, I don't get a lunch hour. What about while the kids are napping? I could run up there and work out and leave Psycho Dog in charge of them. I'll just teach her how to dial 911 with her nose.

See, it sounds like a nice thing to say but in reality it's very cruel. It's akin to telling a blind person they are welcome to drive your car anytime they want. It might make you feel good making such a generous offer, but in reality, it JUST AINT GONNA HAPPEN! Thanks a lot for the suggestion though.

But who am I kidding here. Even when Number 3 arrives, I'll be in such a sleep deprived hormonal state lugging around a couple of milk jugs on my chest that I doubt I'll be pining away for an hour long spin class anytime soon. However, now that I think about it, there are showers at the Y and dropping the kids off at childcare just to wash my hair and shave my legs might be worth $50 a month. Hmmmm. I may be on to something.

No comments: