Pages

Friday, March 23, 2007

Conversations Part II

This is a follow-up to yesterday's post. This is an excerpt from an actual exchange with William on the way to school this morning. Let me set the scene. We had been going through some clothes in his room earlier and he found a little bib smocked with spiders and spiderwebs that used to be on a little jon-jon that he would have worn at Halloween had he not looked so ridiculous in it. But that's another blog entry altogether.

Anyway...he was carrying around that bib all morning and on the way out the door for school I told him to go put it back in his room. He said...."Well...I think I'll take it with me but I'll just leave it in the car so the other kids won't take it." I don't think you have to worry about that, I thought, but sounds like a plan.

So he's looking at the bib as we're pulling out of the driveway and here's how it goes:

"Mama, did you know that spiders drink blood?"

"Wow. I didn't know that."

"Yes they do. I don't like blood."

"No?"

"No. I like apple juice."

"That's nice."

"Do you like blood Mama?"

"Not so much."

"Well what do you like?"

"I like Diet Coke, Water, and Ruby Red Grapefruit Juice." (Sometimes with a little sompin sompin mixed in....but I decided not to go there).

"Does Daddy like blood?"

"Not so much either."

"Oh. Not so much. Not so much. Not so much...not so much...hmmmm. Well....Can I listen to Ring of Fire?"

Nothing like a little Johnny Cash to lighten the mood.

No comments: