Pages

Saturday, March 03, 2007

It's Been a Hard Day's Night

I can't believe I did what I did. And I can't believe now I'm admitting it and putting it in writing where it will live forever.

Yesterday afternoon William got to make his weekly pilgrimage to the "movie store" to pick out a new movie to watch over the weekend. It's a big deal around here. I made the mistake though of going just after lunch and before nap time so when we returned he was so excited that he begged and pleaded when it was time for his nap to be able to lie down in his sleeping bag and watch his new movie on his movie player. I gave in. Mistake number one. Needless to say, he didn't sleep. Just stayed in his room watching his movie for 2 hours and came out and announced he was "ready to get up now." Right.

So then I let him go to the little neighbor boy's house to play just before dinner. Mistake number 2. When Andy brought/dragged/hauled him home kicking and screaming for dinner, he was in such a tirade that we sent him to his room to calm down. All was quiet so the 3 of us enjoyed a pleasant dinner until we realized that it was dark and William was sound asleep. At 5:45 pm.

We kept daring each other to go in and wake him up. Not me I said. I'm not waking the beast. I like my life too much. Besides I'm pregnant (my excuse for everything). You do it. Not me Andy said....I made that mistake once before and almost lost an ear. We did rock paper scissors. Still no one was brave enough. So we bathed Catherine and put her to bed and we watched a movie. After the movie we knew we had to do something. So we went in his room and tried to wake him just to eat something since he'd not had anything to eat since lunch. He growled at us so we got some juice and a nutrigrain bar and slid it over to him and left. This was at 9:30 pm.

At 2:41 am he woke up crying. I ran in there and found him sitting up in bed, crying, saying over and over...."I want to watch a movie...I want to watch a movie." Trying to get my bearings I walked over to him and said...Oh sweetie, it's the middle of the night, you need to go back to sleep. The crying turned to a mild wail and he starts saying "But I LIKE movies....I want to watch a movie." I made a decision in a split second and still can't believe I did what I always said I would NEVER do....I gave in to a 3 year old!!! Ok Ok Ok....what do you want to watch? (I can't believe this is coming out of my mouth at 2:44 am.) He says Charlotte's Web. So I stumble into the den, find it, put in his movie player and turn it on.

The thing is....had I NOT turned it on and simply made my pronouncement that it was the middle of the night and he needed to go to sleep, he would have gone batty and pitched a little tantrum, which normally I could care less how hard or how long he pitches a fit because I don't give in. But at that ungodly hour of the morning, Catherine would have woken up and started crying, then Andy would have woken up and started crying, and I can't bear to see a grown man cry. So I became a world class SUCKER in the middle of the night and ran around like a little rat looking for cheese trying to round up the movie, movie player and get it plugged in. ARGH!

I'm pregnant. That's my excuse.

No comments: