Pages

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Let's Talk About Daddy





This morning in Sunday school we were talking about Fathers (appropriately enough) and the legacy they leave. I shared a story (that I hadn't planned on sharing) that came to mind as we were talking about our own husbands as fathers.

At our wedding when Andy toasted his Dad and best man, I remember him saying that one of the many things he so appreciated was that he never remembered his Dad not having time for him. He never heard "not now" or "maybe later" when asked to throw the ball, play games, or just hang out. He always knew his Dad was there and would make time for him. And he always knew he was most important.

A few weeks ago as Andy was on his way back to work after coming home for lunch, Catherine asked her Daddy to "eat a cake with her." She has a little play kitchen and she loves to cook and serve up all kinds of goodies. Andy needed to get back to work. But he chose to sit in a little chair and eat a pretend cake with a little girl.

I thought about it later and realized that I rarely -if ever - hear him say "I don't have time now" or "maybe later." I'm not sure he knows he does it, or if he just does it because he doesn't know to do differently. He's turning out to be the kind of Daddy that he had.

And it's a good thing.


















1 comment:

Andy Ralph said...

You give me way too much credit. I like to hang out with my kids because I think they are cool. I also realize there will come a day when they don't want to hang out with their old man.