Pages

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Whose Baby Daddy?

The other day I was rearranging some pictures in the house while William looked on. I have a lot of baby pictures framed...some of our kids, some of me and Andy when we were babies, and some of our parents when they were babies. So I had a picture in my hands of Andy as a newborn and I asked William if he knew who it was.

"Mmmm, Baby Stuart?"

"No....try again."

"Uh, Baby Me?"

"No but you're close....it's a baby who looks just like you and Stuart though."

Seeing that he was fresh out of guesses and wasn't catching my clues, I loudly stated (without thinking through this first) "It's Baby DADDY!"

"Cool!" he said. "Is this your picture or can I have it?"

Knowing how things in his possession have a tendency to end up torn, broken, or with yogurt smeared on them, I told him that it was mine but he could see it whenever he wants.

William grabbed the picture from my hands and ran through the house yelling "Look, Cafrin, it's Mama's Baby Daddy. And he looks just like ME. And STUART. But not you."

As luck would have it, the windows were all open so this breaking news could drift throughout the neighborhood. Now if I can only keep him from sharing with his Sunday School class.

I won't be running for public office anytime soon. But I will be appearing on the Maury Povich show next week.

No comments: