Pages

Friday, March 07, 2008

I'm Just Sayin'....

William and I had a very interesting conversation recently. First of all, I have to preface this by saying that I've unintentionally frightened the poor child half out of his wits when we're riding in the car with my threats of the police getting him. Some true, some not so true. "You better keep that seatbelt buckled or the police will get you." "Stop screaming in the car or the police will get you." "Don't turn on that light, the police will get you." "Stop kicking the back of my seat or the police will get you." "You can't eat ice cream in the car or the police will get you." Stuff like that. It seemed ok when he was about two. But now he's four and a half and terrified that if his seatbelt is so much as twisted a little, the police will get him. It's really no longer a healthy fear. It's actually kind of weird.

So the other day we got in the car and as we were pulling out and he was buckling his seatbelt he said, "Mama, the police will NOT get you if your seatbelt is twisted. You were just being silly."

"Says who?"

"Daddy told me."

"Well, Daddy doesn't know about that because he's not a lawyer. I'm a lawyer and I know when the police will get you and when they won't."

"What's a lawyer?"

Hmmmm. How to explain this so he'll understand.

"A lawyer is someone who gets paid to argue with people. And go to court."

"What's court?"

"It's where people go to find out who is right and who is wrong."

"Oh.....like you're always right and Daddy's always wrong?"

1 comment:

Rhonda Case said...

William is wise beyond his years.