Pages

Monday, July 02, 2007

The Longest Day

I'm not having the best day. I admit that I am a scheduleaholic. I like predictability...a routine...knowing when everyone will be rising and setting. I am not and never have been a spontaneous, spur of the moment, fly by the seat of my pants kind of gal. The three of us...William, Catherine and I....had a great routine. Up and until 10 weeks ago when we became the four of us. I've spent the past 10 weeks stressing and fretting about getting Stuart into the groove, forgetting that new babies sometimes don't cooperate. Such has been the case today.

Notwithstanding the fact that he is sleeping great at night, he just can't get with the program during the day. Today he has taken about 3 six minute naps. This has given me time to use the bathroom twice and brush three teeth.* William dressed himself and Catherine runs around naked anyway so what's the point. This is all I've accomplished today because I've been toting Stuart around. All day. Otherwise he screams. All day. It's been a long day. And it's not even close to being over.

Speaking of spontaneity, I have to share something funny. At least I think it's funny. Andy and I had a sudden burst of energy and optimism Saturday morning over breakfast when we looked around at our momentarily very sweet, beautiful and quiet little family and thought it would be fun to pack everyone a bag, throw everyone in the car (sorry, VAN) and drive to Atlanta...actually....two hours north of Atlanta....to Dad's cabin to enjoy the holiday. Maybe even watch fireworks over the lake from the boat. It was like one of those dream sequences in movies...we heard music playing....saw the sweet faces of our little angels cozied up together as we celebrated our country's independence and felt warm and tingly all over. Then the music stopped, a pancake went flying across the table and the baby's diaper exploded like Mt. St. Helen's. We then spent the next 10 minutes accusing the other one of having lost their mind.

Who needs to drive 8 hours anyway to see fireworks when we've got more explosives right here at home than we can handle. And it's not limited to July 4. EVERYDAY is a holiday here!

*How do I have time to blog you may ask yourself? Well. He's strapped to me in the Baby Bjorn (God love the people who invented this thing) and it's more comfortable to just sit. But the other two are about to wake up and I don't know what I will do when I have to tackle Sybil to get a diaper on her. That might be tomorrow's entry. That is if today ever ends.

No comments: