Pages

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Happy Birthday to Poo

So the other day was my birthday. I won't say which one and it would have been most forgettable had Stuart not given me a more than memorable gift. The gift that keeps on giving. At least here lately.

It actually started out as a better than normal day. Stuart even allowed me a full night's sleep. I'm doing a music camp at church this week so we've been shuffling off to that every morning. William asked me what I wanted for my birthday and I told him I wanted well behaved children who did what I asked of them all day. It must have worked because Catherine even managed to keep Sybil suppressed.

Andy came home from work with a lovely bunch of flowers and a key lime pie, my favorite. Things were looking good! Good children, good dinner and good pie. Stuart was playing happily in his exersaucer as we were getting ready to eat dinner. The phone rang, and it was a dear friend from my law firm days, who I haven't talked to in ages, calling to wish me happy birthday and catch up. I was so happy to hear from her and we were having the best conversation when Stuart starting fussing. Not wanting to cut short my conversation I picked him up to quietly console him and kept on talking.

Here's where it got a little ugly. I felt something drop on my foot. I won't go into graphic details, but let's just say we were experiencing a massive diaper malfunction of epic proportions. I just kept on talking though, as if I was sitting in my garden smelling gardenias. I managed to wipe up my foot, change the diaper and keep him happy so we could finish talking. And she never knew what was happening (although she does now as she's reading this!!).

I didn't think much more about all of this until after I had enjoyed a lovely dinner with my family, and I sat there feeling most queenlike. Until I looked down on my shirt and found more of Stuart's birthday happy he left me. It had been there throughout my lovely birthday dinner and delicious dessert.

Sigh. At least we didn't have chocolate for dessert.

No comments: