Pages

Thursday, November 08, 2007

More Conversations With William


So at lunch today William and I were talking. Well actually he was doing most of the talking and I was just trying to keep up. The "conversation" went something like this:
"Mama, when Cafrin is 4 how old will I be?"
"Six."
"When Cafrin is six how old will I be?"
"Eight."
"When Cafrin is eight how old will I be?"
And so on and so forth. You get the picture. But the discussion kept going until he asked:
"When Cafrin is sixteen, how old will I be?"
"Eighteen."
"Will I be a grown up then?"
I thought about it a second. Then slowly (and a little sadly) said "Well yeah, I suppose so." Of course I was trying to do the math to figure out how old I'll be at that point, and got an image of me being wheeled into his graduation ceremony with a shawl around my shoulders and an afghan over my lap, and praying someone will wipe the drool from my chin before they take a family picture.
With the realization that he would be a grown up at some point, he jumped up and hollered "WOO-HOO!!! I'll be a grown up! I can use Daddy's tools and cut things with knives! WOO-HOO!!!!"
And I'm hoping that tools and knives will be the only things we will be concerned with at that point.

No comments: