Pages

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Let Them Eat Cake!

We have a little tradition where we bake a birthday cake for baby Jesus on Christmas Eve. After dinner we sing Happy Birthday Jesus, we enjoy a piece, then open presents, put on our pj's and Daddy reads the Christmas story. (Awwwww.) So on Monday I baked this year's cake. A swiss chocolate/chocolate mint cake with homemade chocolate almond icing. Mmmm Mmmm Good. Being the good mother I am, I strategically baked it during the kids' naps so they wouldn't get, I mean, have, to lick the bowl and chance rotting their teeth. So I licked it myself. Then wiped my mouth real good to hide the evidence.

William was perplexed though when he woke up, saw the cake sitting there, and started asking how exactly we were going to get it to Baby Jesus. I told him we don't really take it to Jesus, we just remember that it is His birthday and that's what Christmas is all about, and this is just one way to do so. Plus, I thought to myself, Baby Jesus better hurry up and get his cake if he wants any 'cause there won't be nothin' left but crumbs by the time I get done!

I am a total, no holds barred, over the edge, CHOCOLAHOLIC. I can't stop with just one either. Of anything. If I start eating cookies, I eat a dozen. One Hershey's kiss and before you know it I have enough foil in front of me to make a whole family of swans. But this cake this year. THIS CAKE. It could make you slap your mama. Especially if she was trying to nab a piece.

So the morning after Christmas, the kids finished their oatmeal and Catherine saw me swiping a bite of cake from under the dome. I told her I was "straightening it all up" but she started hollering that she wanted a piece. 8:35 on a Wednesday morning and what do I say? LET THEM EAT CAKE!!!!!!!! And ice cream. And so they did. And I joined them. And we laughed until the last bite was gone.

The cake is almost gone now and I can no longer fit in any of my clothes. I saw one of those people on TV one day that can't get out of their house without help from the fire department and they said they got to 800 pounds ONE PIECE OF CAKE AT A TIME.

Y'all.

If you hear sirens heading to my house you'll know why.

1 comment:

Mary Anna said...

What a fabulous tradition! I'm going to have to file that one away for future use.

Also---" It could make you slap your mama." That one will also be filed away for future use in my repertoire...