Pages

Thursday, May 24, 2007

The Witching Hour

One month into this insane journey I can tell you that the most dreaded and most feared time of day for me is late afternoon / dinner / praying for Andy to get home time. The older kids have awakened from naps and are ready to rumble. The little one won't let me put him down, and I am usually on the verge of pulling what my friend Kim calls a Brooke Shields. Sitting in the corner rocking back and forth and staring into space.

I have been just inches away from a meltdown several times over the past week. Two nights ago I was home alone with all the kids at dinner time. I was trying to help Catherine eat her dinner, while bouncing a screaming baby waiting for Dairy Queen to open for business. Forget me being able to get even a morsel into my own mouth. And as William sat there eating, he said loudly over all the commotion:

Hey Mama, you know what?

What?

Wellllllllllll......when I was a little boy, a long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long time ago......I wasn't able to eat by myself. But I can feed myself now. 'Cause I'm a BIG boy!

At least he made me smile. And made me proud. And gave me something to be thankful for that night when I said my prayers. Someone who can feed himself! Sometimes it's the little things that become all of a sudden huge.

No comments: