Pages

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Get Out! Get In! No...Get OUT!



When I was a kid....well more like a teenager and on into college...Thanksgivings in my house went something like this...

Let me see if I can paint a picture for you.

My mom would have a list a mile long of things to cook and bake and things to be done.  Chopping of vegetables, shredding of cheeses, crushing of nuts (read that how you will)....I know you know the scene.  Mom would have several pots going at once, the turkey in the oven and a pile of ingredients on the counter with a slew of recipes slung across the kitchen.

I'd be sitting there watching the Macy's parade, drinking my coffee and she'd yell "GET IN HERE AND HELP ME!  I NEED SOME HELP!"

So I'd come running.  And I'd start chopping.  Shredding.  Or Crushing.  And she'd start yelling "YOU'RE MAKING A MESS....THAT'S NOT HOW YOU DO IT!"  Then, inevitably.....

"OH JUST GET OUT!  I'LL DO IT MYSELF!"

So I'd leave.  But not before warming up my coffee and grabbing a magazine on the way out.

And I'd sit for about three minutes before I'd hear again....

"HEY!"  "GET IN HERE!  I'LL NEVER GET ALL THIS DONE!  I NEED SOME HELP!"

So I'd schlep back in and get a new set of instructions.

Three...two....one....

"Oh good grief.  What are you doing to those nuts?  I've never seen anyone treat pecans like that.  My pie will be a wreck.  I'll do it myself.  JUST GET OUT!  I'll crush my own nuts."

Sigh.

Sweet memories.

I'm getting all verklempt just thinking about it.

I'm back home this year but I helped out a WHOLE LOT by taking my three kids away from the house yesterday so Mom could get everything done.  It was my major contribution to this year's feast!

Here's hoping your Thanksgiving is filled with good food, sweet family and finely crushed nuts!

No comments: